Right on cue, in the middle of Justice League’s theatrical run, Marvel Studios dropped the first official trailer for Avengers: Infinity War, and boy was it awesome! There were several scenes in the trailer that I want to talk about as it gives us an idea on what the overall plot is going to be.
As per usual, there are people who want to go into movies having very little knowledge about them – if you’re such a person, you may not want to proceed any further. For the rest though, please note that I will only be talking about what was revealed in the trailer and my own speculation, so there aren’t any real spoilers here.
- The introduction of the trailer was soooo good! I mean, going back to Nick Fury’s explanation of why he wanted to form the Avengers and having different Avengers say parts of it was brilliant! Note how Vision was one of the Avengers that had a part in this – not Cap, not Bruce Banner. As early as the first trailer, Marvel is already emphasizing Vision’s importance in this film.
- I just love the idea of giving Vision a human-like appearance. It should be obvious to everyone now that Vision is going to bite the dust – Thanos WILL get his hands on all the Infinity Stones – so making him appear like a normal person is going to give audiences a stronger emotional connection to the character. Marvel following up on the developing relationship between Wanda and Vision is gravy!
- If the colors of the Infinity Stones will remain consistent with their previous depictions, then it looks like Thanos will get his hands on the Power (Orb) and Space (Tesseract) stones before arriving on Earth. The Orb is in possession of the Nova Corps on Xandar; the trailer did show Loki handing the Tesseract to Thanos. So it’s easy to see that Thanos will indeed come across the Grandmaster’s ship very early in the film.
- I wonder how much screentime will be allotted to Thanos’ attack on Xandar? I think that’s how the Guardians of the Galaxy will get involved – Xandar will send out a distress call to them, they’ll be too late but will be on Thanos’ trail where they’ll eventually encounter Thor.
- One more thing about this scene, the trailer clearly depicts two battles – an attack in New York where the only heroes available are Doctor Strange, Wong, Bruce Banner, Iron Man and Spider-Man, and a second attack in Wakanda where more of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes (including Stark in the Hulkbuster armor) are gathered. Is the scene above before the New York attack or the Wakanda attack? This is relevant because it will tell us how long the Vision is going to survive – if this is before the Wakanda attack then it means the Vision was able to escape capture and will be hidden in Wakanda, prompting Thanos’ attack.
- Vision surviving is unlikely though, which means Thanos is after something else in Wakanda. We don’t see Doctor Strange in the Wakanda scenes; perhaps Thanos will succeed in getting both the Mind Stone and the Eye of Agamotto in his New York attack? If that’s the case, Wakanda probably has the yet-to-be-shown Soul Stone. I had dismissed this theory before but now it kind of makes sense: Heart-Shaped Herb or Heart of Wakanda fits the THANOS Theory (Tesseract, Heart-Shaped Herb, Aether, Necklace, Orb, Scepter).
- Don’t you just love it when characters who are supposed to be leaders bark orders? I loved the scene in the first Avengers film when Captain America was giving orders to the rest of the Avengers and I love seeing T’Challa take charge in this scene. This is the King of Wakanda folks! T’Challa might very well be the next Avengers/MCU leader after Phase 3.
- Note how there are different groups of heroes in the different settings depicted in the trailer and how few make appearances in more than once setting: Doctor Strange, Wong, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner and Spider-Man in New York; Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy in space; Black Panther, Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, Bucky, Falcon, War Machine, the Hulkbuster armor in Wakanda. Does this indicate that the folks over at New York will be too incapacitated (except Banner) to join up with those in Wakanda? Is Thor even going to make it to Earth?
- With the escalating stakes in a lot of the recently released superhero films, you’d think that things couldn’t get any worse but Infinity War really has that epic feel to it, like this is the MCU’s Return of the King or The Deathly Hallows. In retrospect, maybe Marvel Studios did a great job in inserting several smaller scale movies in between Age of Ultron and Infinity War (Spider-Man: Homecoming, Ant-Man, Civil War) – those films provided good breathers before we get another universe-ending event.
- Marvel really knows how to fit humor into their films and trailers. Despite being dark and heavy, Marvel managed to end the Infinity War trailer on a lighter note by book-ending it with the scene where Thor says “Who the hell are you guys?” to our favorite gang of losers. A well placed joke to even things out.
- I wrote about my personal seven Avengers: Infinity War predictions before Thor: Ragnarok came out and not to pat myself on the back but a lot of those predictions still seem to hold true based on this trailer. Thanos was shown to have both the purple and blue stones in the gauntlet, meaning he will hit Xandar and the Asgardians before heading to Earth. We don’t see Tony Stark and/or Vision in the Wakanda scenes (and I read somewhere that it could have been Banner in the Hulkbuster armor) so they could have bitten the dust in the New York battle. We’ll see how many of these I got right when the film comes out.
And there you have it, my thoughts on the Infinity War trailer! This movie looks like it’s going to be another blockbuster success for Marvel Studios! I can’t wait for May 4, 2018!
Have you seen the Avengers: Infinity War trailer? What did you think about it? Share your thoughts with us by leaving a comment or two below!